Decovery® SP-6000 XP
Demand for sustainable packaging has grown dramatically. With consumers becoming more mindful of the effects of their buying choices on the environment, pressure has increased on paper and paperboard packaging producers to eliminate barrier coatings that use polyethylene, paraffin-based waxes, silicones and fluorochemicals.
However, packaging needs to preserve the product it contains. That’s where Decovery® SP-6000XP comes in. Replacing more of the oil with bio-based materials reduces CO2 emissions during manufacturing and also prevents damage to the environment through invasive exploration and extraction methods.
The resin the industry – and consumers – have been waiting for
Decovery® SP-6000XP is a barrier coating resin, which is an alternative to polyethylene (PE) and polyfluoroalkyl substance (PFAS) based solutions. This high-performance, 29% bio-based acrylic is designed for barrier coatings for paper substrates. It works very well with all existing application methods, especially flexo and gravure. Decovery® SP-6000XP resin provides a water barrier (Cobb-tested) combined with high flexibility. It performs well in flexible paper substrates in food and non-food applications such as sandwich wraps, tea envelopes, folding board boxes and other takeout-type packaging.
The flexibility your packaging needs
Decovery® SP-6000XP’s water barrier properties (Cobb-tested) prove its grease resistance in highly flexible performance. This makes it especially effective when used in flexible paper substrates for food and non-food applications, such as sandwich wraps, tea envelopes, folding board boxes and other takeout packaging.
- Dry food, sugar bags, tea envelopes
- Flexible paper, sandwich wraps/cheese
- Hot food containers
- Cold food containers
- Recyclable paper pouches replacing secondary plastic packaging
Fully compatible with all these application methods
- Gravure print technique
- Flexo print technique
- Roller coating
- Curtain coating
- Air knife
How Decovery® packaging resins help our world
The packaging market is experiencing a surge towards more sustainable technologies. Driven by end-consumer demand, brand owners have announced ambitious sustainability pledges. Now it is up to the entire industry to deliver on these challenging goals.
Our Decovery® portfolio is well suited for the creation of high-quality coating resins that meet the environmental demands of the packaging markets – they contain zero-to-low volatile organic compounds (VOCs), yet can match or even exceed the performance of starch-based alternatives
Decovery® resins are partially made from plant-based resources, such as bark and beans, which are sustainably sourced and do not compete with the food chain.
Decovery® SP-6000XP environmental impact
- Verified by Beta Analytic Inc. (Biobased and Biogenic Carbon Testing Laboratory), according to ASTM D6866-16 Method B (AMS)
- Data based on internal calculation. Results may slightly vary compared to final 3rd party reviewed LCA report. Lifecycle assessment is currently being conducted according to ISO-14040-14044, IPCC 2013 GWP 100a standard and the WBCSD chemical sector guidance; Data expressed in kg CO2/ kg resin; absolute CFP SP-6000: 0,56 kg CO2 / kg resin
- Calculation based on data from United States Environmental Protection Agency
Putting Decovery® SP-6000XP to the test
Kit and grease test
Ensuring good grease resistance
Testing for coefficient of friction
To ensure our resins help prevent water uptake by the substrate
Heat seal testing
To ensure an effective seal
Why we also run anti-blocking tests
- 29% bio-based C-14 certified content
- Repulpable on different paper thickness
- Long machine runs due to its low foaming behavior with anti-foaming agent
- Product remains flexible for converting
- Scalable and adaptable using existing paper coating equipment
- No blocking tendency on the line
- Easy to formulate
- Good film forming
- Smooth surface for printing
- Great for flexible paper
- Direct Food Contact Compliant on 7 gr/m2 dry