Automotive seating: Materials for safe, comfortable and durable products
Our high-performance materials for automotive seating include durable thermoplastic polyurethane films for headrests, arm rests, and lumbar support systems; as well as highly flexible PU foam molded to form the seat cushion itself; and synthetic textile coatings that mimic the texture, durability and comfort of leather.
- Polyurethane systems for soft, comfortable and versatile foam moldings.
- Polyurethane film made from aromatic and aliphatic polyester or polyether
- High performance waterborne polyurethane dispersions, without co-solvents
- Thermoplastic films made from aromatic or aliphatic polyurethane
- Ultra-durable: Made to last materials that are puncture-, tear-, and abrasion-resistant.
- Thermoformable: Shape to precise design specifications.
- Stable: Copes with the temperature extremes of auto interiors.
- Versatile: Bonds to a wide variety of substrates including PU foams and textiles.
- Easy to process: Simple manufacturing processes increase production efficiencies.
Automotive seating that performs to the highest standards of support, comfort and safety over the lifetime of a vehicle requires exceptional materials. These include our Platilon® and Dureflex® thermoplastic polyurethane films, which bond with polyurethane foams to form headrests and arm rests. The high thermal stability, and excellent tensile and elongation properties of these films are also ideal for lumbar support systems. Then there’s our Bayfit® flexible PU molded foam, which allows for ergonomic design, favorable vibration damping, longevity, and climatic comfort in seat cushioning - and also significantly improves passive safety when used for headrests. The final touch is supplied by PUR synthetics based on Impranil® high solids and/or water-based PUR dispersions, which provide leather-like comfort and performance.
Sculpting comfort: Thermoplastic films that contain and shape foams for seating
Our Platilon® and Dureflex® thermoplastic polyurethane films are specifically designed for the Foam-in-place (FIP) process, a reaction of polyurethane chemicals that creates the foam used to fill voids in cut-and-sewn laminate parts or between two parts of a mold. In cut-and-sewn parts, film serves as a barrier that prevents reacting polyurethane foam from penetrating the laminate. In molded parts, the film is stretched into all contours of the mold as the foam expands, providing excellent protection and a well-bonded moisture and contamination barrier for the final foam part.
Seating textiles: Like leather only better
Leather seating has always been a hallmark of automotive luxury in terms of comfort, appearance, feel and strength. Our PUR synthetics are so convincing they’re hard to distinguish from natural leather. But it’s the properties you can’t see – especially durability – that make PUR synthetics based on Impranil® high solids and/or water-based PUR dispersions even better than the real thing. PUR synthetics are also more than a match for natural leather or PVC leather on comfort. What’s more, the production of PUR synthetics is environmentally friendly and almost emission-free.