OEM fog lamp housing molded from Makrolon® TC8030 polycarbonate
A major OEM and supplier aimed to reduce the weight and complexity of a fog lamp housing used in a light truck. Using Makrolon® TC8030 polycarbonate, we collaborated to create what is believed to be the first application of a thermally conductive polymer in an automotive LED fog lamp housing.
This application of a thermally conductive polycarbonate in a fog lamp housing opens the door to new possibilities, such as more flexible heat sink designs, integrated electronics, and the use of lamp housings for thermal management.
Why Makrolon® TC8030 was the right solution for the fog lamp housing
- Low density Provides more than 40% weight savings compared to die-cast aluminum.
- Less complex Redesign enables over 10% reduction in component count.
- Cost-efficient Reduces costs for full lamp assembly by 20%.
- High thermal conductivity Offers excellent heat management.
- Recyclable Allows for easy recycling of the housing once the LED board is removed.