Covestro polyurethane resin composites: an easy choice for wind turbine blades
Polyurethane resin is a cost effective and high performing rotor blade composite material
Easy PU resin flow processing makes composites cost-effective
The excellent flow properties of polyurethane infusion resin include very low viscosity, long pot-life and fast curing. This allows for better infusion in the blade composite materials used by the renewable energy industry. The PU resin technology may also enable a blade design for reduced overall weight and volume. High performing composites for rotor blades are long-lasting thanks to their enhanced mechanical properties, even in demanding conditions that wind turbines are exposed to.
Covestro: trusted leader in chemicals and in materials for renewable energy
Beyond investing in our in-house technical capacity for composite innovation in wind turbine blades, Covestro collaborates with leading players in the industry, from testing houses to engineering and application experts and the final wind blade manufacturers. Our aim is to lower the cost of wind power and renewable energy by providing cost-effective composites for rotor blades.
Covestro will continue to leverage its global research capabilities as well as its considerable expertise in composite materials for wind rotor blades to help make wind power even more attractive.
- Global partner: Covestro collaborates with leading engineering experts and wind blade makers.
- Industry certification DNV certified for products offered globally.
- Easy processing: Polyurethane resins allow for infusion speed and short curing time.
- Composite strength: Composite resins enable light, strong, long-lasting wind rotor blades.
- Reduced cost per kWh: Efficient production and durable materials can reduce wind power cost per kWh.