Optimizing LED heat management with Makrolon®
Traditionally, aluminum was used in LED luminaire heat sinks, but its weight, appearance and tendency to corrode made manufacturer, SLP Lighting seek out a better alternative for its new CircLED™ product. They opted for our Makrolon® TC8030 polycarbonate, developed specifically for LED applications.
With the drawbacks of aluminum in mind, SLP Lighting needed to identify a more efficient heat sink material for its new CircLED™ product, an 18-inch round high bay fixture for auditoriums, exhibit halls, factories, distribution centers and warehouses.
The design objective was to use the CircLED™ housing as the heat sink for the lighting luminaire. To be effective it had to be capable of thermal management an LED engine of up to 200 watts.
SLP Lighting selected Makrolon® TC8030 polycarbonate for the CircLED™ heat sink as the material was created especially for LED applications. It provides high thermal conductivity for maintenance of an acceptable steady state temperature and the material is also lightweight. We worked closely with SLP Lighting on part and mold design, provided CAE thermal simulations, and did physical testing to validate material performance.
Why Makrolon® TC8030 was the right solution for SLP Lighting
- Specialized: Designed to provide high thermal conductivity for LED applications.
- Lightweight: Reduces the weight of LED luminaires.
- Flame retardant: Has Underwriters Laboratories 94 flame class rating of V-0 at 2.0 mm.
- Design freedom: Lets you create non-traditional shapes and optimize joining techniques.
- Versatile: Can be used to in-mold LEDs on heat sink-assembly circuit board to reduce costs.