User-centered Design from Covestro for Medical Device Development
The medical device development process began with an in-depth understanding of the needs, preferences, and concerns of teenage patients in need of orthopedic medical devices. Extensive research and interviews were conducted to gather insights into user-experiences, emotional aspects, and aspirations to start a design process anticipating the patients` needs. This user-centered approach enabled the design team to create medical devices that not only provided effective treatment but also catered to the psychological and social well-being of the teenagers.
To address these challenges of medical device development, Covestro and PDR Design joined forces to explore innovative material choices and developed a user-centered design approach for medical device designs targeting teenagers with pectus carinatum. This partnership aimed to optimize functionality by incorporating ergonomic principles and aesthetically pleasing features, ultimately reducing stigmatization in resulting in orthopedic devices that satisfy the patients’ needs.
Makrolon® GF- Glass-filled material solutions for aesthetic medical device designs
Covestro identified materials like Makrolon® GF (glass-filled material) that offered superior performance, comfort, and durability while meeting stringent medical safety standards for medical device designs. Advanced polymeric materials with desirable mechanical properties and biocompatibility were selected to ensure optimal functionality and patient comfort.
Covestro's medical glass-filled Makrolon® provides the necessary performance for effective treatment and patient comfort and safety, empowering our partners to design more freely and incorporate aesthetic features that nurture the emotional well-being of teenage patients, ultimately improving their quality of life.
The outcome of this collaborative effort was the creation of personalized medical devices that effectively treated pectus carinatum while addressing the emotional well-being of teenage patients. The innovative material choices improved the overall aesthetics, comfort, and durability of the devices by meeting regulatory requirements at the same time. By incorporating ergonomic principles, the devices provided a better fit and enhanced freedom of movement, ensuring that the treatment process was less restrictive for teenagers, leading to a better user-experience and a more appealing medical device design.
The resulting medical devices not only provided effective treatment but also instilled confidence, desirability, and a sense of normalcy in teenage patients, ultimately promoting positive body image and improving their quality of life.
- Innovative materials for medical device design Makrolon® GF offers superior performance, comfort, and durability while meeting stringent medical safety standards.
- User-centered design This user-centered design process enables orthopedic medical device development through colors, specific patterns and finishes that not only provided effective treatment but also catered to the psychological and social well-being of the teenagers.
- Meeting safety standards of HC industry Our polycarbonates meet the requirements of skin biocompatibility, user-friendly aesthetics, the ideal balance of flexibility and rigidity, and exceptional impact resistance for medical device development with outstanding product design.
- Material expertise for medical device development Leveraging our expertise in material science (color, material and finish – CMF) and engineering with your design ideas to start a smooth design process for outstanding product designs for healthcare.
- Collaboration Start with us from scratch to consider innovative & more sustainable material choices from the beginning and start a holistic approach for your product design development.