Tinted protective goggles made of materials other than polycarbonate, such as glass, generally change color perception. UVEX approached us to help them develop tough, durable welding goggles that increase safety by enabling welders to see colors without having to remove their protective eyewear while they work.
Improve on glass-lensed welding goggles to make them lighter, more comfortable and, most importantly, to reduce the risk of accidents in the workplace by making it possible for welders to clearly distinguish different colors despite the dark tint of their welding glasses.
We worked with UVEX ARBEITSCHUTZ GmbH to produce next-level welding goggles using Makrolon® FP3087 polycarbonate. The material fulfills EN 172 color perception requirements and also provides protection against ultraviolet and infrared radiation. And with thicknesses between 2 and 3 millimeters, it satisfies the transmission requirements defined in the standard DIN EN 169 for welding filters.
Why Makrolon® FP3087 was the right solution for UVEX ARBEITSCHUTZ GmbH
- Optical properties: Fulfills EN 172 color perception requirements.
- Safe: Provides protection against ultraviolet and infrared radiation.
- Compliant: Satisfies DIN EN 169 transmission requirements for welding.
- High impact strength: Protects welders’ eyes from flying debris.
- High transparency: Allows good transmission even when tinted.