New Covestro medical polycarbonate pushes the boundaries of heat resistance
For 50+ years, healthcare customers have relied on our expertise and polycarbonate solutions.
We continue to look for opportunities to provide added value to our customers. With this in mind, we formulated a polycarbonate made for higher temperatures in silicone overmolding to help our customers more than double production volumes in the same amount of time due to faster curing.
Apec® 2045 offers the highest heat resistance in our medical polycarbonate portfolio. In addition, it offers a mix of properties that helps ensure high quality, performance and appearance for respiratory masks and similar medical applications with molded-in seals.
Furthermore, Covestro experts support our customers every step of the way, for example, helping them calculate possible savings when switching to this material.
Apec® 2045 high-heat copolycarbonate designed for medical devices with molded-in seals and healthcare applications requiring hot air sterilization at up to 180 °C.
- High heat resistance: Formulated for highest curing temperatures in silicone overmolding and hot air sterilization.
- Durability: Tough engineering plastic with the highest heat resistance in the Covestro medical polycarbonate portfolio.
- Transparency: Produces transparent parts with high optical clarity.
- Biocompatible: Biocompatibility testing according to ISO 10993-1 and USP Class VI for contact of 30 days or less.
- Sterilizable: Supports sterilization methods most prevalent in the healthcare industry, including irradiation, autoclave and hot air.
- Processability: Consistent and efficient processing.
- Low carbon footprint: Can enable circular business models by supporting closed- and open-loop recycling as well as the possibility of attributed bio-circular content.