Mono-material design unleashes smart lighting possibilities
Building strength, durability and functionality into LED lighting innovation
LED lighting solutions that work smarter, harder
Covestro put Makrolon® polycarbonate to innovative use to develop a smart LED luminaire for public spaces. This singular material unleashes smart communication technology with situation awareness. Within one smart lamp, Covestro has integrated a Wi-Fi hot spot, camera lens, emergency warning speaker, time display, system status indicators and other built-in sensors. A light can be more than just a light ¬– and stand up to the harshest weather or urban setting.
Integrating multiple functions into one smart security camera
It takes more than a bright light to ensure safety. Thanks to Makrolon® polycarbonate, a smart security camera light uses adaptive proximity technology to activate when intruders are detected. Surveillance features combine a high discharge LED light with IR and visual cameras plus audio warning functionality.
Mono-material design for LED lighting solves for sustainability
Expansive design freedom is matched by a commitment to sustainability. Using Makrolon® polycarbonate for multiple components greatly reduces complexity in the design process and allows for easier end of life recycling. Simply remove the circuit boards – because no screws are needed for mounting PCBs. And because Makrolon® can replace metal and aluminum, weight and cost are reduced as well.
- Strength and durability Withstands heat, cold and impact
- Functional integration Can incorporate sensors, displays, antennas, cameras and more – almost any electronic component
- Thermal management Dissipates heat coming from LED and other internal electronic components
- Sustainability Reduced weight, parts and materials leads to more sustainable design
- Lightweight Can replace metal or aluminum for reduced weight and cost