Makrolon® RE polycarbonate supports sustainability goals
Deutsche Telekom, a leading telecommunications company, updated its ambitious climate target to reach Net Zero emissions by 2040 across the entire value chain from production to customer use for Scopes 1 to 3. The company developed the #GreenMagenta label to highlight its more sustainable communication devices. These and other sustainability initiatives demonstrates Deutsche Telekom’s firm commitment and leadership toward taking responsibility for environment and society.
Guided by its sustainability objectives, Deutsche Telekom sought sustainable raw materials from Covestro to produce the next generation of fixed-line devices. One of the main challenges was reducing the material’s carbon footprint without compromising performance. A more sustainable alternative to fossil polymers with good IR transparency was required.
“Reducing emissions for plastic parts is an attractive goal for us. We have a requirement in place to avoid the use of fossil carbon. Makrolon® RE is a first-class solution to meet our sustainability goals. I am pleased that our sustainable approach in the supply chain has met a fertile ground at Covestro.”
Makrolon® RE polycarbonate from Covestro was the ideal material, contributing to Deutsche Telekom’s sustainability goals, without compromising on performance. The chosen Makrolon® RE grade with about 85% attributed renewable share has a more than 80% lower CO2 footprint than conventional polycarbonates. The polycarbonate, which earned ISCC Plus certification, features feedstock derived from biological waste and residues instead of fossil sources.
Based on its sustainable attributes, the device was marked with the Deutsche Telekom #GreenMagenta label.
“Makrolon® RE polycarbonate makes it possible to use biowaste and -residues as renewable carbon source for the telecommunication value chain, without compromising on performance. With Deutsche Telekom we found a partner to achieve climate objectives and drive the raw material change towards renewable feedstock together.”
- Reduced carbon footprint Significant carbon footprint reduction in comparison to conventional polycarbonates
- Bio-circular attributed raw materials Predominantly based on via mass balance attributed biowaste and residual materials
- High-quality drop-in solution Makrolon® RE grades have identical high-performance properties to standard Makrolon® grades
- IR transparency The Makrolon® RE portfolio includes IR-transparent grades
- Preserve fossil fuels Mass-balanced raw materials from biological waste and residues largely replace fossil feedstock